Allah – beginning with the name of – the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. Praise is to Him who guided the believers to the truth. And may His blessings and salutations be upon our master Muhammad (salla Allahu alayhi wa-sallam) the seal of the Prophets and the coolness of our eyes.
1. After burial, the grave tightens up and presses the deceased.
2. It presses the Muslim like a Mother holds a child. It presses the Kaafir (infidel) to the extent of crushing them, the left side bones end up on the right side and vice versa.
3. When the people leave after burial, the deceased body hears the footsteps.
4. At that time, two Angels called Munkar and Nakeer come ripping through the earth. Their faces look very fearful and scary. Their bodies are black in colour. They have green and black eyes, which are very large in size popping out, like the Jinn’s eyes and they are made of fire. Their hair is very scary and long from head to toe. Their teeth are very long with which they rip through the earth. They wake up the dead shaking and rattling them.
5. With great strength with a deep voice, they ask these three questions:
a. “MAN RABBUKA” meaning “Who is your Lord?”
b. “MAA DEENUKA” meaning “What is your Religion?”
c. “MAA KUNTA TAQUL FEE HAZAR RAJUL” meaning “What did you use to say about this man?”
If the dead person is a Muslim, he will reply as follows:
a. “RABBI ALLAH” – “My Lord is Allah.”
b. “DEENI AL ISLAM” – “My Religion is Islam.”
c. “HUWA RASOOLALLAH (salla Allahu alayhi wa-sallam) ” – “This is Allah’s Messenger, He has been embraced with Allah ta’aala Mercy, greetings to him.”
6. Now, a voice from the skies will be heard saying: “My servant has said the truth. Lay the tablecloth of Paradise for him. Give him clothes from Paradise to wear and open the doors of Paradise (Jannah) for him.” The cool air and the sweet fragrance of Jannah will continue to come and wherever the eyesight can reach, the grave will be made wide and large. Angels will say: “Sleep like a groom sleeps”. All this will be for the good pious Muslims.
7. For the sinful, there will be punishment according to their sins.
8. This punishment will continue for a time. Then from the prayers of the pious or from “esaal e thawaab” (good acts performed by people for the deceased’s forgiveness) or from prayers for their forgiveness or simply from the Mercy of Allah ta’aala, this punishment will stop. Then, there will be relaxation.
9. If the dead is a Kaafir, then he will not be able to answer the questions and will say “HAA HAA LADRI” meaning “Shame for I know nothing’”. Now a caller will shout: “He is a liar, lay the table-cloth of fire for him, and give him clothes of fire to wear and open the doors of Hell for him, from which the heat of Hell will reach him.” There will be two Angels allocated to him to give him punishment and will hit him with great big hammers. Big scorpions and snakes will also bite him. All different kinds of punishment will continue until the Day of Resurrection.