In the name of Allah al-Rahman al-Rahim
Yes it is allowed to wear a taweez.
1. “And We send down in the Qur’an that which is a cure for the Muslims, and a mercy – and it increases only ruin for the unjust.”
[Surah Bani Isra’il: 82]
2. “O mankind! The advice has come to you from your Lord and a cure for the hearts – and guidance and mercy for believers.”
[Surah Yunus: 57]
1. Narrated by Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (radiyAllahu ánhu) that the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) said: ‘Make use of the two cures i.e. the honey and Quran.’
[Sunnan Ibn Majah]
2. Amr ibn Shu’ayb reported from his father, from his grandfather that Allah’s Messenger (Peace Be Upon Him) said, “If any of you gets a nightmare, let him say:
‘I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah against His wrath and His punishment and the mischief of His slaves and from the temptations of the devils and that which they bring’ then they will not harm him.”
Therefore, ‘Abdullah Ibn ‘Amr used to teach this supplication to his grown up children. Also, he wrote it down on something and hung it on the neck of those who had not attained puberty.
[Abi Da’ud and Tirmidhi]
4. Sayyiduna ‘Amr ibn Shu’ayb (radiyAllahu ánhu) narrates that the Prophet of Allah (Peace Be Upon Him) taught his father and grandfather a supplication (Du’a) which they would read before going to sleep, to protect them from fear and anguish…‘We told our elder children to recite this Du’a before going to sleep as well. But for those children who were not yet literate, we would write it and then put it around their necks.’
[Musnad of Imam Ahmad]
1. It is narrated that Sayyiduna Sa’id Ibn Musayyib (a great Tabi’i) was asked about wearing amulets, he said, ‘There is no harm in doing so.’
[Musannaf of Ibn Abi Shaybah]
2. Imam al-Ata (a Tabi’i and a jurist of Makkah) said: ‘There is no harm in hanging verses of the Holy Qur’an (around the neck).’
[Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah]
3. Imam Qurtubi writes: “The amulets (Tawidh) which are forbidden are those from the time of ignorance (Jahiliyya) that contain satanic and elements of Shirk. The amulets which are permitted are those which contain supplication of Qur’an and Sunnah.
4. Allama Alusi writes: “According to Imam Malik, it is permitted to put around the neck an amulet written with the name of Allah. Imam Baqir also stated that it is permissible to put such amulets around the neck of a child.”
Allah knows best.
Answered by Mawlana Mohamed Husein Qadri